Sunday, June 8, 2008

Hitting the Dreaded 40's

This is my first foray into the world of blogging, so please bear with me as I negotiate the landscape. I've always been a few years behind the curve, except in the case of DVD players. I remember buying one of the first DVD players on the market, a Toshiba model, for about $350 on sale. I typically avoid being the first to invest in new technology; I'd rather let someone else victimize himself by being the beta tester.

Anyway, it's been a tough adjustment to admit I'm middle-aged. Scrapes and bruises don't heal so fast anymore; I always feel tired and sore, even when I'm trying to exercise; and I can no longer hide my male pattern baldness. My dad went bald much earlier in life, so I can be grateful that my hair has lasted about 15 years longer than his. Yet I have reached a crossroads in which I have to make a fateful decision. I can try to grow my hair out to obscure the "island," the small tuft of hair remaining in the front, or I can cut everything else so close that I'm practically bald anyway. I'm leaning towards the latter. I've always thought the "comb-over" look was ridiculous, and I've never seen anyone hide their baldness with any degree of success, except with a hat. For someone who always had thick hair it will definitely be a different look for me, but I'm okay with it. I just don't want to get sunburned. I suppose the natural reaction is to compensate for this loss in some other way, like body-building or buying a new sports car. However, I am disinclined to pursue either.

1 comment:

Christopher Bigelow said...

Hah, as I've gotten older my problem is the opposite with hair, as far as growing too much in places where I'd rather not. I have thick, luxuriant shoulder afros, for example.